I made it first in October, the week after we came back from Italy. I wasn’ t quite ready for fall yet, but the pears at the local farmer shop looked so delicious and I had to snatch a bag.
Because I have a huge sweet tooth and I needed to reminiscence of Italy, I decided to bust out an Italian Cake Recipe.
Comes with a light hint of cinnamon but once baked it will be almost imperceptible. Because cinnamon is a good antioxidant but I don’t necessarily love it’s flavor, I like recipes that contain just that little hint of it.
Chocolate Pear Cake
FOR THE PEAR FILLING
- 60 grams of sugar
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 600 grams of pears
- 235 grams of flour
- 15 grams of cocoa powder
- 170 grams of sugar
- 8 grams of baking powder
- 8 grams of baking soda
- 80 ml of sunflower oil
- 110 ml of milk
- 4 eggs
- Begin by peeling and dicing the first 600 grams of pears. That is approximately 2-3 pears. In a pan at medium to low heat combine them with the sugar and cinnamon and allow them to sauté for a few minutes. If for some reason they get watery, add 1-2 teaspoons of corn starch and mix in really well, it will absorb all the water. Turn off the stove and set aside.
- In a bowl start by adding all the dry ingredients. Mix them well with a fork.
- Make a little circular well in the center and add the wet ingredients. Mix them as well with an electrical mixer at medium speed until a smooth and homogenous cream has formed.
- Proceed to add the pears that were sautéed. Mix them gently with a fork.
- Add half of the cake batter to a progreased pan.
- Begin to bake at 340 F for 15 minutes.
- In the mean time slice the two additional pears and place them on top of the Batter in the pan creating circular rows.
- Add the other half of the batter.
- Bake for another 20 minutes or until the center is fully cooked (when entering a fork or a toothpick it will come out clean).
Rice milk is a great non dairy substitute for the milk