Torta del giorno as they call it at our favorite stay in Italy. It’s very close to Pisa where ewe usually stay which is one of my favorite squares in Italy and Duomo. It’s super clean and it’s located inside a giant set of medieval walls, making it a very sage and protected city.
When it also comes to italian breakfasts, there is nothing better than to start the day with a soft delicious cake. It’s not for keto or extreme dieters, but it’s light and has some fruit in it. It’s also my new favorite way to start the day.
I do struggle to often get out of bed and I have a huge sweet tooth. So getting up to dessert is the perfect treat and the perfect motivation. This cake I find it a great way to start my day too since I exercise in the morning so after the gym I need to refuel and carbs are my go to whenever I am hungry. Paired with a nice protein shake of course.
So enough said and here is the recipe.
Italian Pear Cake
- 2 eggs
- 160 grams of sugar
- 90 grams of sunflower or vegetable oil
- 375 grams of flour
- 8 grams of baking powder
- 8 grams of baking soda
- 2 apples peed and diced
- powder sugar for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven at 350 F or 180 C.
- Begin by blending the eggs and sugar for about 5 minutes until a fluffy cream forms.
- Proceed by adding the yoghurt. Then the oil. Finally add all the dry ingredients.
- Finish off by adding the pears and mixing them gently with a fork so that they are even spread throughout the batter.
- Grease a pan and add the batter.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes or until fork inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. If needing to check the oven make sure the cake looks slightly golden and cooked on the top. Avoid ever opening the oven during the baking process because it will make the cake collapse and stop baking.
- Once cake has chilled for 5 minutes, remove from the pan. Sprinkle with powder sugar. Allow to chill for at least 1 hour. It’s also good still warm, but I prefer it at room temperature after it has chilled overnight.