I love to pair a cornbread with chili. The best perks come because the kids constantly ask me to make these two.
It’s become a super easy combo to make for our family. I love that the chili has a good amount of protein and two servings of veggies from the tomatoes and corn. The bread instead fills us up and fuels us with the carbs. Yes, it can be a heavier meal, but great if you don’t eat a ton and are looking for a good meal that will make you fill satisfied and it’s comforting at the same time.
Low-sugar Homemade Cornbread
Course bread, dinner, lunch
Cuisine American, Baking
Keyword bread, cornbread, dinnerpie, lowsugar
Prep Time 35 minutes
Super soft homemade corn bread
- 3 cups allpurpose flour (half white and half whole wheat flour is a great option too)
- 1 cup cornmeal (yellow)
- 1/3 cup sugar (raw sugar preferred)
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil (scant )
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 2 1/2 cups milk (Rice milk preferred or we do 2 tbsp. of powder milk mixed with 2 1/2 cups of water since we don’t drink regular
- cow milk)
- 2 tbsp honey
- Preheat oven to 375°. Grease a 9X13 inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl add all the dry ingredients and gently stir them together.
- Create a well in the middle of the bowl. Like a volcano crater to add all the wet ingredients.
- Incorporate in the middle all the wet ingredients. That is the oil, eggs, honey, melted butter, and milk.
- Slow stir the wet ingredients first. Break the egg yokes and make sure they are all well mixed without mixing the dry ingredients yet.
- Once they are all well blended together, start to slowly add the dry ingredients. With the spoon or a fork start by slowly scooping in the dry ingredients as you mix in a circular motion, until you have blended in all the wet and dry ingredients really well.
- Pour batter into your baking dish.
- Cook at 375° for 25-30 minutes. Start at the lower end of the timer. Time will vary depending on altitude and the internal temperature of every oven which usually varies slightly.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool for a few minutes. Serve warm with butter and honey mixed together or plain. Enjoy!