Indian Turmeric Rice with Golden Raisins
- 2 Tbsp Coconut oil
- 1/2 cup white onion thinly chopped
- 2 Cups Jasmine rice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp Turmeric powder
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 3/4 Tbsp salt
- 6-7 cups water for cooking (will vary depending on your local humidity levels)
- 3/4 cup golden raisins
- 1.6 oz crushed roasted cashews
- Warm up the frying pan for a few seconds.
- Add coconut oil and then white onions.
- Cook until golden around the edges, then add the rice.
- Cook onions and rice stirring constantly until rice starts to toast and some kernels start to appear golden in color.
- Lower the heat and then add the broth, tomato paste and turmeric one at a time while stirring until all ingredients are well incorporated. Add salt. Cover and allow to cook. Check frequently adding more water until the rice is completely cooked.
- Add about 2 cups at a time at first. I added an extra 6 to 7 cups of water throughout the whole cooking process. Stir well so that rice doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan, but don’t over mix or else the rice will fall apart and start turning into a paste. Taste the rice often.
- Once rice is turning soft on the edges but still crunchy on the inside (about 10 minutes into the cooking process) , add the golden raisins and the cashews. Stir and keep adding water until rice is cooked. At this point you may want to add 1/2 cup of water at a time. Cook until the rice is looking translucent and is soft to the taste. Once it’s ready, turn off heat immediately and serve.
For an even better flavor, try and substitute one of the cups of water for 1 cup of coconut milk.
I used a handful peanuts to garnish each dish and to add extra crunch.