Don’t ask don’t tell is the policy for this one.
Seriously though I recently stumbled upon the best recipe in the world. I watched my sister make something similar, and when I came back I decided to whip up my own version of it. That is where I knew the world needed to know that there can be a new version for homemade healthy mac and cheese. A vegan Mac and cheese recipe.
The secret ingredient. Have you ever eaten yellow bell peppers? How about your kids, best friend, or a loved one? Do you like Mac and Cheese? Do you not like it?
This recipe seriously works for both. Perfectly vegetarian, nutritious and yummy too.
This recipe for healthy Mac and cheese is also a lot quicker to make than one it may look to the naked eye. A fabulous way to squeeze in some healthy simple carbs, add some veggies, and make a kid friendly meal.
Now if you are not 100% vegetarian or vegan, adding some parmesan cheese will be the best flavor topper to add a succulent flavor to the creamy sauce while also giving the impression out that the recipe is truly a Mac and cheese traditional dish like it was originally created as. Otherwise, feel free to still omit it!
Homemade Healthy Mac and Cheese
- Pasta of your choice. We chose the Penne from Barilla brand. You can go whole wheat
- 3 Large size Yellow bell peppers
- 1 cup of broth (we did chicken, you can choose a vegetarian option as well)
- Salt to taste
- Parmesan Cheese
- Clean the yellow bell peppers and wash. Cut bell peppers in half. Cut the stem and remove the seeds on the inside.
- Place bell peppers in a crock pot and cook with the broth and salt to taste if you choose to use salt. If you have one, use a pressure cooker and cook bell peppers under the vegetable setting for 10 minutes instead. If using a slow cooker, cook for 4-6 hours on low.
- When dinner hour is approaching cook the pasta according to package instructions.
- After the bell peppers are cooked and tender, transfer them to a blender. Keep the juice in them but don’t pour the excess broth inside of the blender. Blend on medium speed. Add a little bit of the broth from the crock pot until a creamy consistency is achieved if desired and needed. Add 1/2 to 1 cup of shredded parmesan cheese and blend together with the sauce. You will have a nice creamy consistency. Not thick, but not so runny that it feels like juice. It’s a thinner sauce than a tomato sauce.
- Blend the sauce with your pasta and garnish with some extra parmesan cheese over it.
- Serve hot and enjoy!