I don’t ever buy hot dogs at our home. I know they are not healthy so I avoid them as much as I can. Every once in a blue moon though I head over to a local butcher and there they sell their own home made hot dogs. So I like to surprise the kids with them. Because I want them to pair them with something nutritious I like to make this rice salad recipe. I add some quinoa to it and it’s my favorite summer dish as well after a long day at the pool. It’s light. Has fiber, carbs, right fat balance, and protein. It’s a complete one meal in one plate. Tastes amazing the next day as well served cold.
Healthy hot dog Rice Salad
- Pressure Cooker
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water to cook the rice and quinoa with
- 1/2 cup cubed cheese emmental or even babybel cheese
- 4-5 medium size hot dogs your preference
- 1/4 cup sliced green olives
- 5 hardboiled eggs
- 2-3 Tbsp olive oil
- In a pressure cooker, add the rice and quinoa. Cover with 2 cups of water. Cook under rice setting.In the mean time boil eggs. Once ready, allow to cool in cold water or ice for a seconds, peel and cube eggs and set aside. While the rice and quinoa are cooking, prepare and chop the rest of the ingredients.Once rice is ready and steam released, in a deep large bowl, mix together the rice and quinoa with olive oil. Gently fold in the hot dogs, then add the cheese, olives, and top with the eggs. If desired you may add salt to taste. Enjoy warm or chilled for a few hours. Lasts for 1 to 2 days refrigerated.