Why do we like this recipe? Because it reminds me of dessert for dinner. But at least it doesn’t have all that sugar.
I love to pair a cornbread with chili. The best perks come because the kids constantly ask me to make these two.
It’s become a super easy combo to make for our family. I love that the chili has a good amount of protein and two servings of veggies from the tomatoes and corn. The bread instead fills us up and fuels us with the carbs. Yes, it can be a heavier meal, but great if you don’t eat a ton and are looking for a good meal that will make you fill satisfied and it’s comforting at the same time.
Low-sugar Homemade Cornbread
- 3 cups allpurpose flour half white and half whole wheat flour is a great option too
- 1 cup cornmeal yellow
- 1/3 cup sugar raw sugar preferred
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil scant
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 2 1/2 cups milk Rice milk preferred or we do 2 tbsp. of powder milk mixed with 2 1/2 cups of water since we don't drink regular cow milk
- 2 tbsp honey
- Preheat oven to 375°. Grease a 9X13 inch baking pan. In a lare bowl add all the dry ingredients and gently stir them together. Create a well in the middle of the bowl. Like a volcano crater to add all the wet ingredients. Incorporate in the middle all the wet ingredients. That is the oil, eggs, honey, melted butter, and milk. Slow stir the wet ingredients first. Break the egg yokes and make sure they are all well mixed without mixing the dry ingredients yet. Once they are all well blended together, start to slowly add the dry ingredients. With the spoon or a fork start by slowly scooping in the dry ingredients as you mix in a circular motion, until you have blended in all the wet and dry ingredients really well. Pour batter into your baking dish. Cook at 375° for 25-30 minutes. Start at the lower end of the timer. Time will vary depending on altitude and the internal temperature of every oven which usually varies slightly. Remove from the oven, allow to cool for a few minutes. Serve warm with butter and honey mixed together or plain. Enjoy!